Dear Parents and Guardians,
I would like to welcome the school community to the 2017-2018 School Year! We are looking forward to working with all of you this year on behalf of Coast Mountains learners, and continue to make progress towards our district goals.
Shared Vision …“Coast Mountains School District: creating opportunities for learning, opportunities for life.”
District Goals … Raise literacy and numeracy levels for all of our learners. Graduation for every learner; crossing the stage with dignity, purpose and options. Enhance learner engagement, opportunities and choice through personalized learning.
I look forward to continue leading the way to turn these goals into reality, and I hope you will all join the Board of Education, School District 82 staff and myself in this quest for successful learning.
School Opening … the first day of school will be Wednesday, September 6. We have well established routines and we will follow our normal opening day routines with a shortened first day. Buses will make their morning runs at the usual time on September 6 with their return runs after students have been in attendance for approximately two hours. Mount Elizabeth Middle/Secondary School students please reference below for September 6 start times. As you will know, these first days allow us to greet students, set preliminary enrolment and then prepare in earnest for the coming school days. Our first full day of school will be Thursday, September 7 with regular school hours and bus runs in effect. Bus routes and school start times are provided below.
If you require information on which school your child should attend, please call (250) 638-4401 or 1-855-635-4931, Local 4401.
We look forward to welcoming your children in our schools on September 6.
Superintendent of Schools
Kindergarten pupils are requested to begin attending
on the date arranged by the school. Pupils not pre-registered should register on the
SCHOOL OPENING – SEPTEMBER 6, 2017 FOR ALL STUDENTS
at the times as listed in the following 2017-2018 CMSD82 Return to School Messages
which will run in local newspapers in preparation for the new school year.
CMSD82 2017-2018 Hazelton & Kitwanga Return to School Message
CMSD82 2017-2018 Kitimat Return to School Message
CMSD82 2017-2018 Terrace & Thornhill Return to School Message
CMSD82 2017-2018 Stewart Return to School Message
- On September 6 only, buses for all schools will make their morning runs at the usual time and their return runs after students have been in attendance for approximately two hours.
- On September 6, Mount Elizabeth Middle School, Grades 7 to 9, report to the large gym at 9:00 a.m.; Mount Elizabeth Secondary School, Grades 10 to 12, report to their home room at 12:30 p.m. A second bus run for Mount Elizabeth Secondary will begin at 11:40 a.m. on September 6.
REGULAR SCHOOL HOURS AND BUS RUNS WILL COMMENCE
ON THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 2017.
SCHOOL DISTRICT 2017-2018 BUS SCHEDULES/ROUTES
Hazelton-Kitwanga Bus Schedules-Routes – 2017-2018 School Year (includes revised Bus Routes #26 and #29)
Kitimat Bus Schedules-Routes – 2017-2018 School Year
Terrace-Thornhill Bus Schedules-Routes – 2017-2018 School Year
(above links provide one PDF file for each respective area with all bus routes/stops)
Terrace: School buses will only be provided to students living outside the city boundaries. Those students living within city boundaries should consult the Terrace Regional Transit System for scheduling information and rates at 250-635-2666.
Should you have questions or concerns regarding bus routing and scheduling the following steps are suggested:
1) Contact your child’s/children’s School Principal.
2) Contact the Operations Manager at Diversified Transportation bus lines at 250-635-7042 or 1-855-538-5287 for out of town.
In preparation for the 2017-2018 School Year, please find the School Supply Lists as provided by Coast Mountains School District schools:
- Bear Valley School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 12)
- Ecole Mountainview – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 6)
- Hazelton Secondary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Grades 8 & 9)
- Kildala Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 6, English & French Programs)
- Kitwanga Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 7)
- Majagaleehl Gali Aks Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply Lists (Kindergarten to Grade 7)
- Mount Elizabeth Middle-Secondary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Grade 7)
- Nechako Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten, Grades 1, 2 & 3)
- Nechako Elementary School 2017-18 Supply List (Grades 4, 5 & 6)
- New Hazelton Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 7)
- Parkside Secondary School – 2017-18 Supply List
- Skeena Middle School – 2017-18 Supply List (Grades 7, 8 & 9)
- Thornhill Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply Lists (Grade 4 to 6)
- Uplands Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 6)
- Cassie Hall Elementary School, Suwilaawks Community School and Thornhill Primary School provide classroom supplies to students for a fee. Parents will be provided information during the first week of school.
- Caledonia Secondary School, Hazelton Secondary School (Grades 10-12), Kitimat City High School and Mount Elizabeth Middle/Secondary School (Grades 8-12) provide information relating to classroom supplies to students during the first week of school.
Should you require further information, please contact Carole Gagnon, Executive Assistant at the Board of Education Office at (250) 638-4401 or via email at email@example.com.
We look forward to Coast Mountains’ students return to school on September 6, 2017. Have a wonderful summer!
If you are a student who is required to take a Provincial Exam this summer, please read the information below. Additional information can be found on the Ministry of Education website.
Since all exams are electronic, you can locate the sample exams through the Ministry website link shared above. If you have never attempted an electronic exam, it is suggested that you take the time to practice with the ‘past exams’.
All Grade 12 required Provincial Exams will be administered electronically.
Exam Centre Location:
Northwest Trades & Employment Training Centre (NTETC), 3120 Highway 16 East, Terrace
For complete information about changes to the 2017 Graduation Program, please visit https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca.
August Exam Schedule:
August 14 and 15, 2017 – access the following link for information regarding the August 2017 Provincial Exams Information.
Please email Mr. Geoff McKay, District Technical Skills Administrator at the Northwest Trades & Employment Training Centre (firstname.lastname@example.org), to inform him you wish to write an exam. Include the following information in the email:
- Full Name
- Home phone number
- PEN (Personal Education Number provided by the Ministry of Education)
- School currently attending (school of record)
- Exam intending to write (course name)
Students must show up one half-hour (30 minutes) ahead of the scheduled exam time with:
- Photo ID
- Your PEN (Personal Education Number provided by the Ministry of Education)
For further information, please contact Mr. McKay at 250-635-7944, ext. 8467 or toll free at 1-800-663-3865, ext. 8467.
Graduation Banquet/Awards Night tickets will go on sale May 29, 2017. Graduation/Awards tickets are $32.00 each. Grads are allowed 9 guests including their walk up partner. Award recipients are allowed 2 extra tickets each. Extra grad tickets may be available starting June 5, 2017 on a first come first serve basis.
The school district’s School Calendar Committee was reconvened on January 24, 2017 to revisit the 2017-2018 School Calendar in relation to the Ministry of Education requirement to add 5 hours of non-instructional time to the 2017-2018 school year designated for the redesigned curriculum. This addition of hours will reduce instructional hours equivalent to one regular school day. The 2017-2018 School Calendar was previously recommended by the School Calendar Committee in spring 2015 to the Education Committee, approved by the Board of Education and submitted to the Ministry of Education.
The following specific changes were made to the Amended 2017-2018 School Calendar as recommended by the School Calendar Committee in collaboration with the Coast Mountain Teachers’ Federation:
- September 5, 2017 will be designated as a full Curriculum Implementation Day
- April 13, 2018 will be designated as a full Curriculum Implementation Day
- April 20, 2018 Professional Development Day will be re-designated to May 18, 2018
- May 25, 2018 District Planning Day will be designated as a Regular Day of Instruction
The Board of Education approved the Amended 2017-2018 School Calendar at its February 22, 2017 Regular Board Meeting with final approval recently received from the Ministry of Education.
Kindly note the first day of school for the 2017-2018 School Year will be Wednesday, September 6, 2017.
To view or download the Amended 2017-2018 School Calendar and Backgrounder, please access the following links:
A letter to parents/guardians from our Superintendent of Schools, Katherine McIntosh along with the Amended 2017-2018 School Calendar and Backgrounder will be sent home with students this week.
Further information regarding the Amended 2017-2018 School Calendar can be obtained by contacting Carole Gagnon, Executive Assistant at the School Board Administration Office at (250) 638-4401.